Monday, December 14, 2015

Artomatic 2015:

I spent most of Artomatic 2015 out of town getting my yoga teaching certification but I managed to catch it the very last day! I spent over 4 hours trying to capture as much artwork as possible to share here. Artomatic is a relatively short event running around 4-6 weeks total (with months of planning before hand!) so being able to capture so many amazing pieces to share has always been on my to do list once Artomatic starts. Normally I try to post during the event to help promote not only the event but the artists as well. Hopefully having my posts coming after the event this time will help viewers become more interested in the process of the next event from beginning to end! I saw some familiar artists (and friends!), some with wonderful pieces I had the pleasure of blogging about previously, and some with new work I was very excited to see! With everything from quick sketches that really tell a story, to hand made musical instruments, Artomatic is an amazing event and I hope to take part in the next one!


My involvement in Artomatic: I had the amazing opportunity to spend over 65 hours at Artomatic@Frederick in 2011 and then to be one of the small team of people who ran Artomatic@Frederick in 2013, spending over 300 hours there from start to finish. I also ran Artomatic DC's Zombie Prom in 2012 and I showed my own art at each event. It was a life changing experience for me so I love to share the experience of Artomatic with others! 

About Artomatic: Taking place (this year, as the location changes) in Hyattsville, Maryland, Artomatic describes itself via the Artomatic.org site as: “Artomatic is a non-profit, volunteer-run 501(c)3 orginaztion that organizes and hosts a large arts festival occurring every 12-18 months in the DC metropolitan area, usually in a commercial location slated for demolition. The event is unjuried (first-come-first-served) and showcases creative work in visual art, music, film, performance, and fashion. The 2012 Artomatic attracted about 1700 artists and performers and over 70, 000 visitors. We also license other events in other locations, such as Artomatic@Frederick, held in Frederick, MD, and are currently expanding and building out licensing program statewide and internationally. Artomatic’s mission is to create community, build audience and expand economic development by transforming available space into a playground for artistic expression. Artomatic is guided by a volunteer Board of Directors and is funded in part by the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities, an agency supported by the National Endowment for the Arts. See more about the volunteer teams that make Artomatic possible.” as well as saying, 


“Emerging and established artists present their work side by side and have the chance to work and learn from one another. The diversity of artwork and performances attract the proudest range of people, providing a forum to build institutional connections. Artists, organizations and visitors come together and illustrate the energy, vitality and strength of the arts to impact the community.” 

Time for some artwork! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Claire,
    I'm the gypsy music/instrument artist from artomatic. I saw your comment in my book and wanted to say thanks for the kind words. I wasn't exactly sure how to get a hold of you, but you can email me at ray.baccari@gmail.com. Especially when you feature some of my stuff. I'd love to see what you write. Thanks!

    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. Negative criticism welcome as long as it is friendly!