Thursday, June 7, 2012

Artomatic 2012 Artwork, Part Five:

 In case anyone is wondering where to find the artists I'm featuring in my blog the easiest  way is to pick up an Artomatic map at the entrance. You can find floor maps as well as artist's listed by name (including myself Claire Mixson). Many artists have guest books at their sites so if there is work you're drawn to don't forget to leave a comment. I've found that some pens have gone missing but it's easy to borrow one from a near by space, just remember to return it to it's original owner!

David M Keene's work is really wonderful in person. A hunter or nature enthusiast would both enjoy his work. There is obvious respect for the wildlife and nature itself in his colorful, detailed paintings. 


I'm a big fan or organic art and Larissa Raddell's installation art is a great example of that. Really beautiful work.

J. Yen's art is a must see in person. The depth and detail of this artwork is stunning. 



As someone who can't even use a sewing machine I'm really impressed by Alison Landry's artwork. I can't imagine the time that must have gone into not only the fabric itself but coordinating all of the different colored threads. Really lovely!


When I lived in Georgetown, DC I could access the roof deck. On nights when I was stressed out with homework or just in general it always calmed me to sit on the roof and watch the sunrise or sunset. Caren Quinn's mural really brought me back to those quiet, calming moments.


Brian Johnson's paintings are of course reminiscent of Pollock but as someone who isn't particularly drawn to the full scale disorganization of Pollick's work I am a fan of Brian's. With just enough restraint to evoke emotion that still seems within his control Brian Johnson's large scale paintings are really vibrant, the smaller ones which are lacking no detail are also a must see. 



Yelena Keyzman's work is beautiful and romantic while still maintaining a supreme attention to detail. Her dot work is amazing, much more beautiful in person than in the camera phone photo I took!


Again I'm amazed at glasswork featured at Artomatic.  Gayla Lee's Pattern and Geometry in Glass takes me back to my freshman year's design class. It quickly became apparent I do not have the patience for such detail oriented work, but Gayla obviously does!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. Negative criticism welcome as long as it is friendly!