Thursday, June 7, 2012

Artomatic 2012 Artwork, Part Four:

If you're coming to visit Artomatic I'd estimate based on my experience today that each floor will take about an hour to power through and up to two hours if take your time. That being said, I spent hours looking at art today! I focused mainly on the 8th, 2nd and 3rd floors which is where most of these photos come from. I'll be back again tomorrow and then on Saturday (for Zombie Prom from 8pm-10pm!) so check back soon!

I have been trying to leave notes in guest books for artists I plan on featuring here. It may be a couple of days before I get everything posted. Honesty I want to feature every artist who is a part of Artomatic. Every space has it's own amazing differences but there are also so many similarities throughout the building. It's wonderful how so many people can come together and share what goes on in their minds. I haven't come aross one space I wasn't drawn to in some way.

Again, please feel free to comment, share, repost (with proper credit) and make sure featured artist's know their work is being enjoyed. Thank you!



Some of my favorite work so far has been from Rob Chester. I strongly urge you to see his work in person. Even the room itself is inviting to explore. The camera phone photos don't do the texture and depth justice! Here is an example of some of the amazing work Rob has on display at Artomatic.
 

I stumbled upon a dark room and was instantly intrigued. What I found inside was an incredibly soothing room with artwork unlike any I have seen before. I really like Phaeton Arts' work! Once again the photos don't do the artwork justice in the slightest. I would greatly encourage you to take a look at the artwork in it's Artomatic environment. The depth is lost in my camera phone photos and the colors are more vibrant, the room more soothing in person.
 
Jeff Kollins has a really complete space, and by that I mean his work and his layout really go hand in hand to create a visually appealing and welcoming Artomatic site. Whimsical yet still captivating on a deeper level, Jeff's work should really be seen in person at it's full size.
Valentina Xavier has captured the beauty of old world art in her photography. My favorite piece being a friend of mine! 


Claire Reintgen's work caught my eye from afar. I love her triptych and her cyanotypes should be looked at closer. Beautiful, soothing colors.


I found the work J Louise Evans has chosen to display very dreamlike. Shapes that can be interpreted as friendly or hostile yet somehow familiar, organic and alive like a childhood dream that has stuck with you into adulthood. I wonder what her inspiration was! I am very drawn to them.

Glass work is something I am barely familiar with. With no concept of how these amazing pieces of art were made I found myself wondering how Michael Janis came to work in a medium that is so foreign to me and seems so difficult, how even and finished the pieces look and what the inspiration behind 'The Dimension of Memories' was. Absolutely stunning attention to detail without being so precise that it detracts from the work. Again, pieces that should be viewed in their full larger state. I tried to get a closer photo but the detail really must be seen in person!


Mary Catherine Starr and I share a love of yoga it seems. She has even painted one of my favorite poses! Nostalgic work that I as a nostalgic person felt a familiarity to.


Often enough when artists create art using Alice in Wonderland as inspiration it comes off flat, forced or overworked. This is not true for Brittany Sims. Brittany's work is captivating in a "tell me more" way, as if the viewer was meant to be Alice herself lost in Wonderland. I found myself very interested in examining the piece of Alice in the tea closer. The dream-like yet finished quality of Brittany's artwork gave me a sense of how Alice must have been feeling during this part of her adventure in Wonderland, confusion, discombobulation possibly even panic, much unlike the Disney version most of us have come to know. Her art is very enjoyable to see in the space itself which furthers the sense of the viewer being Alice, large and small.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. Negative criticism welcome as long as it is friendly!